So, last week I saw school supplies on display and for sale at the Tarjay (yes, pronounced Tar-jay). And the immediate reaction was, “$@^@$&*.” But after the excessive screaming stopped in my own brain, I took stock and remembered -- Teaching has afforded me my mission and fulfilled my passion to support learners and never stop learning myself.
I took a deep breath and began reflecting on how to prepare for the 2021-2022 school year.
Here are the goals I wrote on the inside of the gum wrapper found in my car after my Target run:
- Finish two professional books.
- Jump back into podcasts to support my growth area for next year.
- Participate in two Twitter Chats.
- Attend one professional learning opportunity.
With these goals in my back pocket (literally), here is my game plan:
The topic I want to focus on is cognitive research on how we learn, so I have ordered:
- Why Don't Students Like School? by Daniel T. Willingham
- How Humans Learn: The Science and Stories Behind Effective College Teaching by Joshua R. Eyler
Two books: Check!
The podcast that is speaking to me lately is The Brain Science Podcast. I have been drawn to educational podcasts that are not focused on “school orientated” and learn to better coach in my building. As for Twitter Chats, I’ll be keeping a close eye on a few I can jump into as they happen.
Check and Check!
Now, for the big one that may seem daunting -- the professional learning opportunity. I will be attending the ideaU Summer institute.
This 100% virtual institute includes five whole days of live keynote speakers and watch-on-demand webinars.
As if that wasn’t reason enough to attend ideaU, here are 3 more solid reasons:
- As and Illinois Educator, I can earn 20+ PDHs.
- I am registering today, which means it will only cost me $29 - that is about $5 a day for priceless learning. (Early-bird pricing ends July 21st, so get on it.)
- By registering for ideaU, you'll automatically be entered to win two FREE tickets to IDEAcon 2022. That is a no-brainer.
Let’s learn together at ideaU-- while hanging by the pool or on our back porch.
What are your back-to-school learning goals? Share with me in the comments.
See ya digitally at ideaU and fingers crossed at IDEAcon 2022.
- Kim D., Teacher and IDEA Volunteer